Friday, March 26, 2010

personal questions! woohoo

Sarahlynn asks, Given your demanding job and cravings for wonderful foods, how do you attain moderation? I picture Moonrat curled up reading a book or hunched over a manuscript, constantly sipping hot tea. I don't picture Moonrat running and sweating on a little rodent wheel. Just trying to clarify the picture. Is Moonrat a gym rat?

No gyms for this Ass! Blech. I tried that gym thing once a long time ago. It ended in a two-year contract I paid for but never used. Icky. I do go to yoga once a week (or have been lately), and I'm lucky enough to live by one of Manhattan's darling parks, where I go running with the Monkey two or three times a week.

However, I don't want to give you the false hope that I have "attained" any of that "moderation." The days I run are merely days I can eat MORE ice cream.

Rebecca Knight asks, If it's not too personal, how did you and the RM meet? *rachel* wanted to know this, too.

Official story, or unofficial story?

Official story: In a cafe*. I was tapping away on my laptop** and he sat down and offered to buy me tea***. We decided to go to a poetry reading together$ and then he bought me a chocolate cake$$ and we have been together ever since$$$.

For the unofficial story, please insert the following at the relevant *s.

* where I was waiting for his best friend, whom I was dating at the time
** looking very upset because his friend was very late and I was feeling stood up
*** because I looked like I was going to kill somebody
$ as friends; he even asked his buddy's permission first
$$ because clearly he had ignoble intentions the entire time
$$$ he's not friends with that guy anymore.

27 comments:

Heidi C. Vlach said...

Strategic use of tea and sweets? RM is clearly a keeper.

Shelley Watters said...

That was hilarious, and so sweet!

beth said...

Ahaha! Love this! :) Nice footnotes :)

Merry Monteleone said...

Suddenly I have a Rick Springfield song stuck in my head. His ex-friend's name wouldn't happen to be "Jessie" would it? :-)

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

LOL! Your RM story is awesome. I love all the footnotes. Thanks for sharing, but especially for clarifying.

Kristan said...

Hey at least that guy was good for something! Fun story. :)

Crystal Posey said...

LOL Love it! Great questions.

Bethany said...

Today my husband wrote a journal entry about a date at the beginning of our relationship. And then I read this. Great day for not-so-mushy, but pretty HA inducing reminiscings. :) Good times.

Sara J. Henry said...

Moonrat, you are absolutely hilarious and a marvelous writer. Why do you not have a humor book / book about Moonrat's view of life out? Or do you and we just don't know about it because you are, er, anonymous?

moonrat said...

Sara--don't worry, if I ever publish a book, you guys will be the first to know. (I'm not sure who else would ever want to buy it!)

~Jamie said...

I once bought an entire year of gym membership and NEVER EVER used it. Not even once, not even to go to the bathroom... nuthin.

Kate Evangelista said...

Your story just made my day. Hilarious.

Kim Kasch said...

At least your wallet was lighter when you bought the gym membership ;)

Claire Dawn said...

I love the RM story and footnotes! :)

Emily Cross said...

aw that is so cute!! Love the footnotes! Go RM!!

Ashley A. said...

This is a great post, and my comment may be a bit tangential, but I just read this book review that made me think of your statement, "Yes, I'm white, but I'm trying to get over it."

moonrat said...

Ashley--AWESOME. Thank you.

Joe Sharp said...

Expert use of asterisks and dollar signs. :)

Sarah Laurenson said...

I love the official/unofficial story. Well done (both the writing and the doing).

Frounette said...

Sounds like RM has set a high standard for gentlemanly seduction. That was a lovely 'how we met' story.

WendyCinNYC said...

Aw, that's adorable.

The RM story, not the workout routine.

Kimberly Kincaid said...

Great story- *love* the whole chocolate cake part the best! What a smartypants that Rally Monkey is :) Clearly a keeper.

Melanie Avila said...

The story of how I met and started dating my husband has lots of footnotes too. :)

Rebecca Knight said...

I love the two versions! Clever RM, plying you with cake... Obviously a keeper! :D Thanks for sharing!

Jaleh D said...

Love your story about how you and RM met. My hubby says that when he met me, he knew right off that he wanted to get to know me. But he didn't think he had a chance since I saw his best friend first. While I did become friends with his buddy first, that friendship just turned me toward my darling rather than away.

ggwritespoetry said...

I LOVE the unofficial story plot...it's so funny...ignoble! LOL

Sarahlynn said...

How did I miss this? Awesome; thanks. :-)