Saturday, March 13, 2010

if you're a short story writer in the NY area...

My friends over at One Story (the nonprofit lit mag, and the only magazine I subscribe to at present!) alerted me to a workshop they're doing this weekend and next. It's one-on-one short story coaching. I know this weekend sold out, but there are still a couple slots for next weekend (3/21).

By the way, if you like short stories, One Story is for you. Because it's nonprofit the subscription is really cheap ($21 for a year, 18 issues, within the US; a little more for international). Here's their mission statement, and here are their past authors/stories--check the rather high number of writers who go from One Story to Famous. For writers, notice they accept submissions September-June. If they're not on your radar yet, put them there! They're one of the top possible literary credentials a writer can have.

Ok, plug of the day. Have a happy rainy Saturday! Indoor activity suggestion: karaoke.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love One Story!!! Wish I lived in NYC...

Mary said...

Too bad they don't offer an online version!

Shannon E. Kennedy said...

Thanks for the info! will check it out. i'm in CT so its doable!
Shannon aka Green Monkey

greenmonkeytales.com

angelle said...

moonie, this is an awesome tip. i will be sending this around to my mfa buddies who aren't off somewhere wonderful for spring break :)

karaoke: great way to spend a rainy night.. or afternoon... even sick.

i'm currently frightened by the wind.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Thanks for telling me about One Story. It looks amazing!