Monday, March 08, 2010

hypothetically speaking... (Your Questions continued)

[Candyland asked, "If you had to choose between: a)being a writer who loses the hand you write with or b)being a runner who loses a leg which won you the gold... which would you choose?"]

Well, Candyland, this is obviously a difficult question. So let me apply a little logic (I should mention at this point that according to Myers-Briggs, logic is not my strong suit).

In either situation, my personal passion would be compromised, which, in theory, would be traumatizing. However, I think it would be less traumatizing to be the runner who loses the leg. My reasons are as follows:

-You mention in your question that I've already "won the gold," which seems I may have already achieved the tip-top of my art. A runner expects their physical prowess to decline as they age, while a writer expects their writing to get better as they age. So although the loss would be huge, I believe the opportunity cost would be lower.

-Athletes have tons of adrenaline. Many computer-dwellers (such as myself) have none. Therefore, my athlete-self would probably be able to cope with the situation in a more health manner than my writer-self. I can see my athlete-self determining to overcome my new challenge and super-training with my new prosthetic, going to lots of conferences and speaking out as an awareness advocate for whatever cost me my leg, etc. I see my writer-self eating a lot of cake while watching TV. (What do you think, writer friends? Would you be better than me? You probably are. But I really like cake.)

-In either case--lost hand or lost leg--there are very interesting technologies to help me adapt to my new situation. However, I think the loss of the hand would affect me in more OTHER disciplines of my life besides writing than loss of a leg would besides running. For example, losing a leg would not affect my use of chopsticks. Or a fork. Or a spoon, or a straw.

These are my thoughts. Now, Candyland, I have a question for you. Did you expect me to address your concern in this much detail?

12 comments:

Miriam S. Forster said...

I'm with you, Moonie. I'd definitely rather lose a leg. Think of how hard it would be to read a book with only one hand...

Marshall Buckley said...

Reading a book with one hand is probably easy with an e-reader...

*ducks*

Candyland said...

I'm impressed you put so much thought into the question. I'd have to say, I'm totally with you. I need my hand for really ridiculous things other than writing (wipe my daughter's butt, straighten my kinky hair, play guitar...wait...), but I'm pretty sure I could one-leg it through most things...
Bravo:)

Whirlochre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Whirlochre said...

Hypothetically speaking, given the very interesting technologies currently available, the lost hand could be grafted to the lost leg and shared by the writer and the runner. A very useful, all-purpose tool, I think you'll find — especially for the runner if he could find some way of training it to grab on to his pelvis. Maybe then, he could do a few circuits round the block as before. And if the writer slung the creature over her shoulder, knee up, and showed it how to hold a pen, maybe she could direct the disembodied hand with her stump.

Even if none of this were possible bar the initial graft, at least the resultant homonculus would give the two of them something to discuss instead of moaning about their problems. Unless the reason they were both injured as described was because of a duel to the death involving chainsaws that went horribly, horribly wrong.

But I digress. Your point about the gold medal is a sound one.

Laurel said...

Whirlochre: I think you have a premise for a sci-fi novel. The grafted hand becomes sentient and...EVIL. The writer and the runner have to work together to stop their Frankenstein creation from running (get it? running?) amok among unsuspecting humanity.

Perhaps the writer and the runner could have an opposites attract romantic subplot. The happy ending could involve lots of cake. Carbo-loading for the runner, diet staple for the writer.

Genius, I tell you. Good job, Whirlochre!

Haste yee back ;-) said...

PLEASE, see the movie MY LEFT FOOT!

Haste yee back ;-)

Talli Roland said...

Hand. Definitely hand. There's always audio books and voice recognition software!

_*rachel*_ said...

If it's just up to the activity, I might go for my hand; speech-recognition software and all that. But I use my hands for almost everything I love doing--writing, reading, knitting, drawing, eating--and my legs to get places on time. I'd keep my hand.

lynnrush said...

Wow. Interesting post! Lots of thought into this.


Gets ya thinking, that's for sure.

Bree said...

mmm...cake

Imogen said...

I'm currently making my long slow way back from an immobilising injury affecting my writing hand & I can certainly agree with the watch-tele-and-eat-cake proposition. It's very sad but it's true. And having an hand out of action brings it home like nothing else just HOW MUCH one uses one's hands for.