Tuesday, February 09, 2010

WYAOD Hall of Fame

[Sorry this is late--it took me HOURS to put together because so many people participated!]

Thanks and congratulations to everyone who participated!

Here's my story (and sorry in advance for the overshare). I put in 6 hours on Sunday, 2 hours on Monday night (which I know isn't the point, but I figure this is about flexibility). I'm really grateful for the pressure (albeit self-generated; it was still group-enforced). I'm working on a very personal project, not really for fun or profit, and possibly never to show anyone in the world except my mother. My very beloved grandfather died over Christmas, and it made me really sad that I had never put together the family coming-to-America story I've been taking notes on for the last four years. I find that in my schedule of running around like a chicken, it's easy to prioritize other things. But this weekend, I didn't. So thanks for that.

Of course, it will take me about 10 such other weekends to finish... We could always talk about setting up another one for, say, next month, if people have the stamina...

So bureaucratic consideration quickly, before getting to the Hall of Fame. New York Writers Coalition, who actually have an official annual Write Your @ss Off Day (in June), were nice enough to give us permission to use that slogan. But I maybe we should come up with our own, if it will be a repeat event. This seems like an excellent opportunity to make a poll to me (you know how I do love a poll). Any suggestions what we might call a global write-in like the one we did this weekend? Leave in comments, and I'll make a poll widget (yum, poll widget).

Onto the victors, in no particular order! I'm just putting up exactly what people told me.

WYAOD Hall of Fame
Charles Gramlich

Kelly Harmon


Sandra Gail Lambert

Doug Mack

Robert Kent

Jenna Wallace

Chloe Neill



Matilda McCloud





Sarah Laurenson

SM Schmidt

Your Friendly Neighborhood Palindrome


Heather Wardell

Pamala Knight

Exploring Eliza

Ashley Atkins

Soph K

Simon Hay


Wendy C



Phoenix Sullivan

Crystal Posey




Laurie Lamb




Callie James


Katiek Patrianoceu




Miriam Forster

Eva Sylwester

K.M. Smith

Jemi Fraser


Bernita Harris


Tricia Simpson


Stephanie McGee








Jaleh D

Dawn Simon

Laura Elliot


leedublin said...

No apologies needed; just pleased to be able join in. Good luck with the project and thanks again for being the one to sound the rallying cry to write. :)

Jennifer said...

Way to go! I'm impressed by everyone who managed to do this. :D

Eva Sylwester said...

Title suggestion: Alone Together

SM Schmidt said...

I like the idea of calling it Global Write-In but that could be due to the fact G.W.I. sounds cool. Those letters are often neglected in happy acronyms.

Stephanie McGee said...

Congrats to everyone! Moonrat, I think your project sounds wonderful. Even if it only ever gets self-pubbed for your family, it's worth the effort. I need to do one for my dad that I lost a few years back.

I like Global Write-in, but I don't know about the acronym.

Ebony McKenna. said...

Congrats to all,
I've joined my writers group colleagues in a BIGFAT week. It stands for Bottom Is Glued (to the seat, or upturned milk crate) Fingers Are Typing. We're reporting in each day and making progress on our works in progress.

It's so nice when you have others urging you on.

Whirlochre said...

Ably assisted by this commoonion of phantoms, I managed to chomp away at a pile of nasty edits — edits which I couldn't have tackled...alone.

Stuart Neville said...

Very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

My WYAOD has turned into a week, and I'm about to start another day's worth of writing and reading.

Soph K said...

Unfortunately life got in the way of my WYAO day a bit and I am still trying to make up my hours this week! But it was fun to be trying at the same time as so many others and a monthly weekend is a great idea to keep the momentum going. It's a shame we can't keep the 'Write Your @ss Off' title though because it fits in with the blog so well - will get thinking!

Linda said...

Congrats Moonrattie (Moonie seems more apropos given the focus on the posterior)!

And congrats everyone else. So many obstacles to hurdle over to eek out those 8 hours.

And my deepest sympathy on the loss of your grandfather. I'm so glad you got to spend the weekend honoring him and your family.

Peace, Linda

B.E. Sanderson said...

Way to go everyone. Thanks for suggesting a WYAOD (or WYAOW). I took the idea myself and ran with it this past weekend. Kind of a mini-NaNo. Anyway, it was very productive, but by Monday morning my hands were so sore. Sooo... how about Write Your Hands Off Day? =o)

Yvonne said...

Sorry I missed this one. I have written 8 hours at a time, back when I was laid off from my airline job after 9/11 and discovered what I really wanted to do with my life, but unfortuniately the economics of having no money kicked in after about 11 months. Good way to push people to just do it!

Matilda McCloud said...

I really enjoyed WY@OD--please do it again sometime! Actually I've decided I need a WY@OD at least once a month.

Your project sounds wonderful...

moonrat said...

Ebony--I love "BIGFAT"--that's AWESOME.

JES said...

Bet you do a great job with that project, Moonie -- no matter who the eventual audience turns out to be. So happy to hear the weekend helped you hammer away at it.

BIGFAT sounds great to me, too!

WendyCinNYC said...

Yay! And guess what I typed this morning? That's right...THE END. Or. more specifically, , but whatever!

I still have a lot of work to do on it, but I'm not thinking about that right now.

First round's on me!

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. This must have taken some work. I bet if you write the history piece you'll find a way to get it out for others to see. No writing I ever do seems always to stay private.

Laurie Lamb said...

Moonrat, I am so sorry for your loss.

I suggest WOW Day. Writers One and all Writing. "Wow!" is also what you could say at the end of the day.

exploringeliza said...

I think BIGFAT sounds great. But GWI is cool, too, in a military way.
Preferring BIGFAt, though, since it is so close to the whole Ass In Chair I'm fond of referencing when I talk to people about 'how I do it'.
And thanks again for setting this up! It really gave me the extra push I needed to get sooooo much accomplished. My new/old story is now well on it's way!
Good luck with your family history, too. I would imagine that would be very edifying work to do.

Bernita said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family, MoonmouseDear.

Dawn Simon said...

Your project sounds wonderful.

Crystal Posey said...

Your project sounds awesome. I had so much fun, and hope to do it again!

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow!! That's a lot of us :) Thanks for collating the list - that's a ton of work.

Sorry to hear of your grandfather - I love the idea of the project you're working on. Lovely.

_*Rachel*_ said...

Write Your Fingers to the Quick Day

Writing Marathon

I got some extra writing done, but probably not enough to count. Thanks anyway--I finished my short story!

Miriam S. Forster said...

I'd be in for next month. A kick in the pants is always good.

I love your project, even though I'm sad for your loss. I hope you finish.

Chloe Neill said...

Congrats, everyone!

How about "WriteNow Weekend"?

Maria said...

I should have posted on the earlier post--I wrote! I created! I was so busy...I forgot to come back and see what to do after the working part!!!


But really glad to have participated. Two weekends in a row actually because I got the date wrong...


Nishant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott Sargent said...

Great Event! I learned about it via Chloe Neill's blog. I managed 8K words in the WYAO weekend. I'd love to particpate in another!

Kelly A. Harmon said...

Congrats to all who played along!

Moonie: I love your project. So sorry for your loss.

Thanks again for organizing it all.

Aaron Zimmerman said...

This is so impressive! Thanks so much to Moonrat for linking to us too :)

if anyone wants to be a beta tester for our online Write-A-thon (it will come with free participation in the event June 12, which includes free writing workshops and prompts and other fun things to get people's juices flowing) please email me at aaron@nywriterscoalition.org. (space is limited though)