Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mentors, Muses & Monsters Contest Results!

I said I was going to post results on Monday, but now I'm going to make everyone doubt my identity as an editor at all by being AHEAD of deadline.

Thanks so much to everyone who entered! It was a real pleasure reading all the entries. It's a trite thing to say, but it's true--I did not really enjoy having to narrow down the list. (Insert pity party here.)

Ultimately, I decided on one winner and five finalists. This was because I had only one copy of the prize (the signed copy of the book that inspired the contest, which I have also pictured here to add visual variety to my ordinarily text-heavy posts). Also because I find "deciding" things to be very difficult, so this would be an exercise of spiritual/character growth for me.

There were some very funny and heinous monster stories, but I guess I must have been in a pretty sappy mood when I was judging (which is a risk you run with me) because it appears I tended more toward tearful and/or heartwarming mentors and muses stories.

Without further ado...

Finalists (in no order at all):
David Alton Dodd
Rachel Green
Peter Cooper
Merry Monteleone

Grand Prize:
Rachel Stewart

I'm going to publish one finalist a day for the next six days, starting tomorrow morning, so that everyone can enjoy. Winners, please let me know if there's a blog link you want me to embed in the post. Also, Rachel S, please send me a good mailing address so I can pop your signed book in the mail.

Thanks again for making this wonderful fun for me. Hope everyone else had fun, too!


Merry Monteleone said...

Congratulations, Rachel!!!

And thank you, Moonie!!! You can just use my blog link. You're posting your essay, too, aren't you?

Kate said...

Woot! Congratulations, everyone. I couldn't even manage to write mine, so I'm really looking forward to reading all of yours.

Julia Eff said...

Well now that you admitted you were all sappy, I'm sort of glad I didn't manage to finish my scathing character beatdown of the kids that picked on me in school.

_*Rachel*_ said...

My eyes are still wide and I'm breathing funny. I was so surprised I nearly had a coughing fit. It's a good thing my roommate wasn't in at the moment, or she'd REALLY think I was weird.

I am honored. Absolutely, positively, honored.

I look forward to seeing everybody's entries. My mentor is one of my greatest heroes, and I know you all have wonderful stories about yours.

My question: what do I tell her about this? Do I tell her?

Bernita said...

Thank you, Moonmouse.
We didn't want to wait to read them either.

Lydia Sharp said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read them. :)

Simon Hay Soul Healer said...

Congratulations to all the winners. Thanks Moonie.

Ann Victor said...

Congratulations to the winner and finalists. Looking forward to reading the stories!

Gemma Noon said...

*blinks a few times*

Um I am really, really, hoping that I am the Gemma that made it as a finalist (which will teach me to put my full name on emails in future), otherwise I'm going to look rather daft in a moment, but, if it is me, then:

oh wow!!! I made the finalists!!! Thank you so so so much!!!

If it isn't me, um, move along, please. Nothing to see here.

Rebecca Knight said...

CONGRATS to Rachel and all the finalists! :D I can't wait to read the entries. This blog is full of such cool people :).

David Alton Dodd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Alton Dodd said...

This afternoon I decided to see what moonrat was up to today, and I'm lucky I wasn't in the middle of a sip of coffee! I'm stunned! And honored, thanks moonie. I'll HTML link the entry from my blog. And to be a finalist among sich awesome writers feels fantastic!

I can't wait to read everyone, and congrats to Rachel Stewart :)