Saturday, September 05, 2009

Saturday morning indie Taiwanese pop/rock moment

I love, love love this video. Taiwanese punk boy rockers retro-dancing in Converses on tatami mats while singing to a girl in a kimono and sumo wrestlers. What's not to love? Best, there are random Japanese words in the middle of the Chinese lyrics--you can tell, because they appear in big English writing in the subtitles.

The song's called "My Anata" ("Anata" being the Japanese word for "you") and I don't think you need to speak Japanese or Chinese to think the video is hilarious. But of course, I have peculiar taste.

David Tao is a Taiwanese pop singer with a very interesting life story, if you're curious. Eg working for the LAPD while scraping to put himself through college before finding his calling in his late 20s as a pop/rock star in the Chinese-speaking world. Isn't he cute?

Ok, all right, no more Asian pop culture for today.

12 comments:

Lydia Sharp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydia Sharp said...

Okay, so I never claimed to be an expert at creating links in html code (which is why above post was deleted). *sigh* Sorry. I'll let you know when I've officially caught up to the 21st century.

Anyway...I liked the video. Good laugh. Am I correct in understanding that the title is "My You"? I guess that makes sense. Sort of.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Very cute. I enjoyed that more than I'd thought I would.

moonrat said...

ha. thanks, guys. you're very accommodating.

and yes, "my you."

iasa said...

I really like the song and the video to boot. Cheers moonrat

Larissa said...

That was very weird.

And now I want to go out for karaoke.

Derek Gentry said...

Musically, it's a little reminiscent of Fastball's The Way, no?

Whirlochre said...

That put such a skip in my step that I nearly fell downstairs...

I_am_Tulsa said...

LOL!
Thank you for this! I haven't seen anything so hilarious in such a long time!

CKHB said...

But... more Asian pop culture on ANOTHER day, right? Right?

Loved the video & song.

moonrat said...

Larissa--I think you and I would be great friends.

cindy said...

hee! the music sounds very familiar. yes, just as derek said. fastball's the way! but what do copy rights mean anyway? heh!