Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Ramen King and I

I was confused about how I ended up on Penguin's podcast blast list a couple months ago, but kind of wrote it off, until this morning, when I saw this podcast:

Andy Raskin talks about The Ramen King and I: How the Inventor of Instant Noodles Fixed My Love Life, a memoir of his odyssey through various Japanese cuisine and his homage to the inventor of instant noodles (about whom I once had to read a very difficult essay in Japanese, in which language all essays are difficult, and so I hold him in great personal esteem).

I don't know anything else about the book, but it's got a great cover.

So thanks, Penguin. You win this round.

5 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Now I want to read all about whoever invented ramen. It's certainly fixed my kids' culinary issues.

Anita said...

I agree on the cover...I'd give it a look-see based on cover alone.

Charles Gramlich said...

I think whoever invented Ramen noodles kept Lana alive for a couple of years so I owe him/her.

moonrat said...

hahaha Charles, I sure owe at least two years of my college survival to The Ramen King, too.

jdcoughlin said...

Ah, ramen, college, the memories. The euphoria when four for a dollar turned five for a dollar. Good times, good times.

We lived in Japan for four years and many times would go to restaurants for ramen. Of course, they did it better than the spice packet, three pea, sliver of spam I was once best friends with.