Monday, May 04, 2009

from books doth much useful knowledge issue

For Project Fill-in-the-Gaps, I'm (very, very slowly) reading a mammoth history of New York City--Gotham, by Edward Burroughs and Mike Wallace.

But this is why I love history books. Sometimes you stumble across things too much fun not to share.

In a possibly apocryphal story (related to a Philadelphia priest 150 years after the fact), members of the Lenape tribe described the story handed down to them about meeting Henry Hudson. According to the story, Hudson invited their ancestors onto his boat, where he offered them alcohol to drink. Thus was that particular spot named Mannahattanink, or "the island/place of general intoxication" (15).

All right, who's going to make the first smart comment?

12 comments:

Steve Brezenoff said...

How little the place has changed. (FIRST)

JES said...

A little inland was the area known as Torutaforta, or "the place of *specific* intoxication." This was later corrupted/Anglicized to "Thirty-Fourth" but, well, as Steve says some things just don't change.

Sarah Laurenson said...

LOL

Not first or second, so I'll just laugh.

Kim Kasch said...

I've always been interested in mammoth sized things - not!

But that is one fun tidbit of info.

:)

Miriam S.Forster said...

I think the original namers would be proud of what we've done with the place.... :-)

Charles Gramlich said...

wow, my homeplace. And I never knew.

vicariousrising said...

I so hope this is true.

PurpleClover said...

I wish the place I was from had a cool name origin. :(

Ann Victor said...

Very interesting. Wonder if I'll remember that if I ever get asked it in Trivial Pursuits.

Like the name "Injasuthi" (one of my favourite places one earth) - means the valley of the well-feed dog, because there used to be so much game roaming there that the indigenous tribes (and therefore their pooches as well) were always well fed.

How's that for a smart bit of trivia??? :):)

Merry Monteleone said...

See, I knew there was a reason I have to visit Mannahattanink... ya know, besides all the great publishing peoples. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'd drink to that.

Crystal Posey said...

http://thenonist.com/index.php/thenonist/permalink/hot_library_smut/

Some photos I know you'll appreciate.

:)