Monday, February 09, 2009

Edinburgh, by Alexander Chee

Angelle apparently read Edinburgh in one sitting, since she posted her review about one day after I sent her the book.

But that reminds me! Edinburgh is still the March 1 book club book, and I know a couple of people have read it now (Lisa, I saw it on your list!). So hope everyone who's dipped in will drop by and share their thoughts. March 1, 2009, dawn EST onward.

Anyone want to suggest any books for April? I'm currently reading Septembers of Shiraz, and next up is The Professor and the Madman, which I think someone suggested as a book club book a couple of months ago. Your thoughts, please!

10 comments:

Kerry said...

for a book about a dictionary, Professor and the Madman was strangely engrossing. I read it, like, eight years ago and still find myself thinking about bits of it every now and then!

Lisa said...

I did read it and can't wait for the discussion. It was excellent.

Aerin said...

Professor & the Madman is one that's actually in my TBR pile! Let's do that one!!

litscrb said...

An amazing book if you haven't read it, or even heard about it, is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Don't be put off by its subject matter, the Holocaust, or its narrator, Death; it is a remarkable book.

Dennis Cass said...

Alexander Chee's blog is also excellent. It's called Koreanish and you can check it out at:

http://alexanderchee.net/

JES said...

I really liked The Professor & The Madman.

Another non-fiction book you might appreciate, published around the same time as TP&TM, is (was?) King of the Confessors, by Thomas Hoving. Convinced that the Met's finding and acquiring a medieval artifact (this one) is a dull prospect? Then you might want to give this book a pass. But the story is fascinating, horrifying, funny...

Ello said...

The hunger games. Oh please please please....

Jo said...

Heard The Professor and the Madman was very good. It's on my 'to read' list.

moonrat said...

Wow. Ok, well, that's enough people for me. Let's do PROFESSOR AND MADMAN for April 1. Woot.

Andromeda Romano-Lax said...

Ordered Chee's book. Why am I sharing this? So that maybe I actaully start reading -- QUICKLY!! -- as soon as it arrives... Thanks for introducing us to another one I would have missed, moonie.