Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a good week (or, count on your peeps)

My typesetter is psychic.

I botched up a galley order for Winter Institute. I thought I was ordering a title of mine for rush shipment, and didn't realize I was also supposed to be ordering two other titles for other editors, since (apparently) only I was directly in touch with the typesetter.

The marketing manager and I figured it out this afternoon, when we both freaked out--Winter Institute is next week, and there's next to no time to get galleys made and to Utah.

I called my typesetter to ask him to arrange an emergency printing, but he had somehow found a scrap of paper three weeks ago that had the correct quantities for all three books printed on it. Even though no one had remembered to ask him, he had finished sets of all three galleys printed and already waiting in Utah.

Thank you, lucky stars, and also psychic typesetter. I will take you out for lunch.

20 comments:

AC said...

I love it when things work out perfectly like that!

freddie said...

Don't you love it when that happens? When I worked in educational publishing, often my mistakes ended up working themselves out. Something like two wrongs don't make a right, but three do.

Travis Erwin said...

Sounds like a Zippity-Do-Dah day.

Enjoy the bluebird on your shoulder.

Nubia said...

hey moon, i'm hurt--you have yet to acknowledge the award I gave you!! =(

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, better hang on to that guy. They don't make many of those.

Kim Kasch said...

You must have some great Karma working for you.

magolla said...

Wow! You can't pay enough for experience like that.
Treat him/her to a very nice meal, considering he saved your moonie tookus! :-)

Vesper said...

What a perfect ending! Gotta love that guy!:-)

Moonrat, I haven't been here in a long while... It's good to be back! :-)

Justus M. Bowman said...

Reminds me of the "Trivial Psychic" from SNL...except this guy did something more useful than the SNL character.

Chris Eldin said...

I LOVE days like that!!
:-)

Jo said...

And during a mercury retrograde even!
I know it's silly but whenever things go wrong (viruses, computer crashes, car trouble, kids with head lice, misunderstandings with editors and friends) it always seems to be during a retrograde. Spooky! Glad you avoided the bad mojo.

Natalie said...

Whew, what a relief! I'm glad for psychic typesetters, too.

Melanie Avila said...

I love when people excel at their jobs. :)

Kristan said...

Phew! I'm glad it worked out.

Jolie said...

I think you must be made of luck. I'd like to get my hands on some of that before MFA rejections start rolling in.

BuffySquirrel said...

Can't buy that kind of service.

(although word ver thinks it's only decent!)

Helen said...

Man, keep a hold of that guy!

MISA said...

Hello!
It is interested very much.
Please link to this site.
http://love-marriage-lover-couple.blogspot.com/

Liz Kreger said...

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know. That typesetter is a prize and a keeper.

Glad it worked out.

Chumplet - Sandra Cormier said...

Don't ya love those people? Typesetters are the best! (I was one, once, and still am to some capacity here at the newspaper).