Friday, January 30, 2009

editorial bat cave

Nose is firmly pressed to grindstone, I promise.

But! For those of you who have read A PALE VIEW OF HILLS, by Kazuo Ishiguro, our book club will be up and running from the wee hours of Sunday morning (February 1st). I'll warn you, this might be a book club meeting you want to skip if you haven't read the book--I anticipate tons of spoilers because of the nature of the narrative. I think we'll have a good discussion, though--several people (me, Angelle, Ann Victor, that I know of off the top of my head) have already posted reviews, and I know about of other people are reading.

For those shooting for the 3/1 book club meeting, a reminder that the pick was EDINBURGH, by Alexander Chee.

In the meantime, I'm working on SPECIAL TOPICS OF CALAMITY PHYSICS, by Marisha Pessl, and then plan to move on to HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, which I've heard about, like, everywhere.

Happy reading!

9 comments:

Jaye Wells said...

I'm listening to Calamity Physics in audiobook format right now. So great! Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is next up after I finish your boyfriend's book (Yiddish Policeman's Union).

Ann Victor said...

Can't wait for book club day!

Waiting to get my hands on Edinburgh for March's book club. (my mom's reading it after filching it off my kitchen table!)

Won't be able to make April bbok club - will be in Switzerland. Or is it Croatia by then? Anyway, somewhere in Europe and away from my laptop (getting withdrawal symptoms already!).

Thanks for the link Moon Rat. :) See you early Sunday for some book chat!

RAK said...

I read Special Topics but didn't understand the title OR the chapter titles... am I just not well-read enough? I'd appreciate some insight.

moonrat said...

Ha! RAK, I need to do a LOT more research. I'll have to get back to you in a couple hundred pages.

Christy Raedeke said...

I anxiously await your verdict on Calamity Physics; I honestly can't predict where you'll land on this one!

Kate Lord Brown said...

Now I have this great image of you holed up with a butler and a red phone Moonie. Kapow!

Joe Iriarte said...

"Nose is firmly pressed to grindstone, I promise. "

That's a good way to get a bloody nose, you know. ;)

CAPTCHA:
warsin: (n.) Really--enough about Bush already.

Anita said...

I can't wait to read what everybody else thinks of this book. In spare time, I'm reading THE ROAD by McCarthy.

angelle said...

just got calamity in physics (whatever its caleld) but dont know if i'll read it in time for you....