Sunday, December 28, 2008

a Socratic apology for ABBA

YT: Are you going to watch MAMMA MIA with us?

Dadrat: I don't think so.

YT: But you are an ABBA fan, right?

DR: No.

YT: No?!

DR: No.

YT: Whyever not?

DR: Ugh, the problem with ABBA's like bubblegum. I don't like sugary pop.

YT: ABBA? Bubblegum?! Have you ever heard ABBA?

DR: Like what you and your sister were singing all morning?

YT: Exactly!! It's the edgiest pop music that ever played on the radio! My theory is that ABBA is able to say things so honest in their lyrics only because they are not native English speakers. "I apologize/if it makes you feel bad/seeing me so tense/no self-confidence"? Can you even imagine an American saying that?

DR: You're telling me that's not bubblegum?

YT: You know what? I just think you're uncomfortable because everyone thinks you look like Bjorn.

[Eight hours later. Mother is singing "I Have a Dream" in the kitchen, sister is singing "Lay All Your Love on Me" in the living room, and I'm singing "Mamma Mia" in between.]

DR: I remembered what the problem with ABBA songs is.

YT: Oh yeah?

DR: It's not that they're bubblegum. It's that after you hear them, you can't get them out of your head for the rest of your life.


Juliana Stone said...

haha....I hear dat!

Cory said...

And courtesy of this post... they're stuck in my head, too. Sigh!

Haste yee back ;-) said...

Like Peanut butter. Lyrics stick to the roof of you mouth.

Haste yee back ;-)

writtenwyrdd said...

I loved that movie Mama Mia. It's about the best chick flick ever.

I liked ABBA growing up, but never owned any of their albums until I bought the greatest hits about five years ago.

JES said...

A couple years ago, while The Missus and Sister-in-Law went to see Mamma Mia on Broadway, The Brother and I went to MOMA -- where the Dada show had just opened.

It was a day of very confusing replis to everyone who asked, "Do anything interesting today?"

[Ooooh, word verif: reyerat...]

Ello said...

HA HA HA!!!!! Dadrat is SOOOOO right!

And I have to say that if I want a sure fire way to annoy Da Man, all I gotta do is start singing ABBA songs. Fernando really sends him over the edge!

jalexissmith said...

it really does not get any better than hungover in a movie theater singing along to ABBA at 1030 AM on a Saturday, right moonie?

Stuart Neville said...

I once bought my best friend's future wife an ABBA karaoke tape for her birthday. He has never forgiven me.

Word verification: ingredar - appropriately Scandinavian, I think.

Julie Weathers said...

Oh, it's Take A Chance On Me.

My theme song.


Jessa Slade said...

Edgiest pop every played. Har. I fell in love with ABBA back in the 8-track days. I'd explain the joys of punching through the tracks to the kiddies out there, but even then the technology didn't make sense.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm afraid I've never had a problem getting an ABBa song out of my head.

BJ said...

Mr. Gramlich, you must have a very orderly mind.

I remember ABBA. Always liked them. I rememer 8-tracks, too. Didn't like them much, but it was all we had in the car.

Thank you for the music that will be playing in my head all evening.

Heather said...

Well... that last statement is true, you CAN'T get them out of your head.

I love ABBA.

I'm kind of disturbed that DR looks like Bjorn.

Precie said...

Poor the time you realize it's stuck in your head for life, it's too late. :)

ElanaJ said...

Abba = spontaneous bursts of bubblegum singing in movie theaters. Awesomeness. :)

Cora Zane said...

So what does it mean

(theoretically speaking, of course, *cough, cough*)

if I have Dancin' Queen on my playlist? ^_^

moonrat said...

uh, that you rock. literally.