Thursday, November 27, 2008

Goopy Thanksgiving Message

This post is going to be a bit like preaching to the choir. Plus, you guys already know how horribly sappy I can get. But I'll post it anyway.

Before I go into my Thanksgiving Goop, a short overview of events that you might like to "attend" in the near future:

-Tomorrow is National Day of Listening as proclaimed by NPR's StoryCorp. Anyone who listens/collects/posts a story tomorrow (or otherwise this weekend) should send me a link to your blog post; we're going to make a catalog.
-Tomorrow is also Black Friday. If you're crazy (like me) and going shopping, I bet you're Buying a Book and Saving the World!
-On Monday, December 1, Tess Uriza Holthe, author of WHEN THE ELEPHANTS DANCE, is subjecting herself to the Ed Ass Book Club.

Moving on to Thanksgiving Goop.

Last night, I went to dinner with Angelle and a civilian friend, Melanie. When conversation turned to blog friends, Melanie zoned out very comically.

It's funny to think that Angelle and I have a whole range of people in common that we don't "know" in the conventional sense (although, increasingly, we do). Blog friendships are funny and a little backwards because you begin by keeping in touch with someone and end by getting to know them, the opposite of the way things worked when we made friends in grade school and college. The advantage is that we know we like one another before we know what we have in common, meaning things like age, geography, and occupation are pretty meaningless. The possibilities, essentially, are endless.

A friend said recently, "Aren't you a little worried that you're mixing up your online friends with your real friends?" I said, "Uh, no." Because blogging is no longer "virtual" even in the most traditional sense of the word virtual.

Two quick examples, not that I need to remind you guys: In the last two months, you guys raised almost $5000 in real money for a friend of mine who needed help paying for chemo. Then, less than a month ago, you threw me a surprise party on my second anniversary--a party that maybe didn't have a punch bowl but had everything else a "real" party would have. Both these examples have nothing to do with things I have to offer on my blog; instead, they are kind things that real friends did without prompting. So much for "virtual."

This is a long-winded way of saying of the many things for which I am thankful this year, I am particularly thankful for all the people I've met in this blog circle. You give me much joy.

Happy Thanksgiving to all--I hope everyone, American and otherwise, is eating delicious foodstuffs today.

Love and kisses,

Your ratty friend

27 comments:

Madame Lefty said...

You're too cute.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Linda said...

There was so a punch bowl - wasn't there?

Happy Thanksgiving. Peace, Linda

angelle said...

dork.

Susan said...

Happy Goopy Thanksgiving to you too! Thank YOU for the laughs and general Great Stuff you send our way.

Aerin said...

That was better said than most pieces I've read "defending" online friends - but I giggled when angelle called you "dork." That's the mark of a true friend. :)

Happy Turkey Day to you, too.

Jeanie W said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Moonie. And thanks for being all goopy and sappy. You're helping to bring out the best in the people you touch.

Kate Lord Brown said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys over the pond x

Miriam S.Forster said...

Happy Goopy Thanksgiving to you too!!!! Goopy Thanksgiving makes me think of that green stuff with the marshmallows in it. I can never remember what it's called, but we had it every Turkey Day when I was young. (Goop is delicious!)

Thanks for all the great reads.

Jill Corcoran said...

Happy Turkey Day Moonie!
Thank you for your generosity, humor and overall Moonieness:)

Conduit said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Moonrat!

Sarah Hina said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Moonie! I love your goop. :)

jalexissmith said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Christy Raedeke said...

Aw. I prefer sentiment, like stuffing, as goopy as possible.

Cheers to you and the lovely mischief you've collected here. Happy day to all.

Christy

cindy said...

i, for one, would never mix online friends and offline friends. you never know what sort of weirdo riff raff you may attract from the internet. LIKE ME! haha! ;*)

Corked Wine and Cigarettes said...

I find that to be so true, Moon. I've manage to make a few interfriends in this biz through blogs or emails that I don't think of as anything less than my regular friends, and yet I've never actually met them. Must be something to do with the camaraderie of going through the motions of publication as a debut.

As a side note, we have a lot to be thankful for. Even in times like these. Happy T-Day! (And thanks for all your support!)

-Stephen Duncan

McKoala said...

Hm, a punch bowl filled with goop, mixed with a little vodka, perhaps?

Travis Erwin said...

Well said. Hope you've had a great day and find plenty of bargains tomorrow.

Ello said...

That was so sweet and it wasn't sappy at all. I loved it. And I completely agree with you. It isn't just virtual anymore.

Hope you had a lovely turkey day!

I can't wait for Monday!!!
I can't believe I said that.

faye said...

Happy Thanksgiving, moonrat :D

Justus M. Bowman said...

Happy day after Thanksgiving. :D

Merry Monteleone said...

you never know what sort of weirdo riff raff you may attract from the internet.

Actually, I attract most of my riff raff in the real world :-)

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Moonie, and I'm wishing you many bargains!

WendyCinNYC said...

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving!

JES said...

Hope you had a great day, Moonie. Thanks for this site and the soul behind it; I scarcely think of it as biz-related anymore.

Molly The Dog said...

Very cool blog. It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets sappy about all the things I'm thankful for.

Colorado Writer said...

Gobble Gobble a day late.

Precie said...

A sorely belated but no less heartfelt Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

ggwritespoetry said...

Well, I certainly feel like a member of a group when I come here. And Moonie, you're so personable, how can we not love you? Thanks for everything you do to enlighten us.