Thursday, October 16, 2008

was it the full moon?

In the last business week, I have received 17 proposals from agents.

For some editors this is probably a small number. For me--I spend my time hiding under a rock and never, ever solicit things--this is rather huge. I mean, that's more than three proposals per business day, on average.

Why the sudden popularity? My assistant is stumped. At the end of the day, she came to my desk and informed me she would not log a single other proposal for me today, because she knows perfectly well I don't have time to read anymore.

Sigh. Wisdom from the mouths of assistants.

My favorite proposals are the nonfiction ones. Why? Because you know right away whether or not you're going to like them. The idea appeals to you and fits your list, or it doesn't.

With novels, you might have to spend an hour or more reading before you know if you like it. And then you might love it and have it struck down by your ed board for whimsical reasons or differences in taste. In which case an hour or more for nought.

I didn't have much to say. My brain hurts a little from editing so I thought I'd post to break up the monotony.

8 comments:

H. L. Dyer said...

Or moonotony, maybe?

Aerin said...

ach mein - out-loud-groan for moonotony :)

brianfarrey said...

I've had three hours of sleep over the past two days. When I read the opening line, I thought you might be heading down the aisle soon.

I need some sleep.

moonrat said...

HAHAHAHAHAAHA

only 3 agents have proposed marriage this week, alas. and i've only said yes to two of them.

Charles Gramlich said...

I feel much like this when I get a lot of IRB (research) proposals that I have to approve or disapprove in a week's time. Most are so boring but each has to be given a careful going over. Very tiring.

writtenwyrdd said...

Reading proposals like that isn't reading for fun, so I bet it takes you quite a while longer than an hour if you consider the book a possible for your list, too!

And, from personal experience, if it is think work, it always takes longer than you anticipate because consideration shouldn't be done in a hurry.

Josephine Damian said...

"you might have to spend an hour or more reading before you know if you like it."

Uh, for you an hour, for me a minute - someday you'll be my age and be less patient with bad writing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Moonie, I wonder if my novel has made its way to you.

Like others, I am fighting the urge to freak over the economy--on top of freaking over being on submission. I mean, people will always want to read, right? And books that are bought now are for a couple years from now when the economy SURELY will be turned right side up. Right?

So, can you tell me if any of this economy stuff penetrates/influences your decision making?

Thanks--Happy Reading :)