Saturday, October 18, 2008

warn your loved ones!! there's a baked goods lady on Houston Street in front of St. Anthony's church and she's trying to kill us all!!

I saw her again this morning when I was wandering around in Soho with the monkey.

"I know you!" I told her. "You sold me that piece of carrot cake last Saturday. It was the size of a basketball! It almost killed me!"

"You didn't have to eat the whole thing," she said, shaking her head sadly. "That's why I packed it up for you in that container, so you could take it home."

"Oh, so now you rely on your customers to provide their own willpower? That's very unfair and mean of you."

"Today I have quishe," she replied.

Curses!!! We've only met twice but apparently she knows me well.

Consider this a public service announcement. Stay away if you value your waistline! Delicious, ludicrously cheap baked goods at the fleamarket on Houston Street every Friday and Saturday morning and afternoon this fall. Run for your lives!!

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Thank goodness I'm far enough away to stay safe. Yeah, thank goodness.

cindy said...

*jealous*

writtenwyrdd said...

Mmmm. When I make to NY I fully plan on cheesecake and sushi extravaganza. Carrot cake or quiche, not so much. But I can get those here in Maine.

but I have to say I've never met a pastry I didn't like. Except cream horns. Those are just nasty.

Marie said...

NY? Wow ... I shall stay up in here in the (not yet) frozen North and dream of someday visiting NYC. :) I've heard that there is a delicious type of bagel that can only be bought there. That would be my food weakness.

JES said...

I don't know if was a phonetic spelling of the baked-goods lady's pronunciation, or a simple typo, but I think "quishe" is one of the loveliest new words I've seen in, like, years.

Apple-cinnamon quishes on Sunday morning. Yum.

moonrat said...

uh oh. how should it be spelled?!?!?

my father always used to tell me to look it up in a dictionary. HOW CAN I LOOK IT UP WHEN I DONT KNOW HOW IT'S SPELLED?!?!?

moonrat said...

oh i see now. it has a C instead of an S.

well, let's call it "kwish" from now on.

Pamala Knight said...

The aliens must've airlifted this lady and Paula Deen into our midst, because I'm convinced that since every recipe P.D. makes calls for a stick of butter, which of course makes all of the food oh so yummy that, death of the populace and world domination is indeed their plan.

But what a way to go, yes?

P.S.. Excuse my haphazard use of commas. I'm currently frightening myself to death with Eat, Shoots and Leaves in order to reign in my inability to place a comma where it's suppose to be.

JES said...

"Kwish"? Egad. That's onomatopoeia for "stepping on a beetle."

No, don't tamper with the perfection which your subconscious has already delivered: quish.

(Seriously, isn't there a "sounds-like" dictionary or something for solving the problem of not knowing how to look up the proper spelling of a word you can't spell in the first place?)

cindy said...

those dodgy french words don't count. we shouldn't have to spell them correctly. =)

we should just EAT THEM!!!

ChrisEldin said...

Just make us proud, okay?

ggwritespoetry said...

Oh, to live in New York... to meet the baked goods lady.... I dream of it....