Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mischief Raffle to Fight Cancer

The Mischief Fights Cancer

Dear Beloved Blogging Fellows,

Recently, a friend of mine was diagnosed with Stage IV lymphoma. She is only 28 and is fighting back hard, but her valor is frustrated by the fact that she has no insurance. Medicaid will be kicking in for her in about a month, but in the meantime there are some hurdles that nothing will help her get over but money.

Of course, there are lots of benefits and pots for me to throw money in. Alas... I work in publishing and have no money. I was bemoaning this to my darling Ello, and she thought of this fantastic idea: I should raffle off my editorial services. So that's what we're going to try here.

Raffle for editorial services!!

Prizes available:

-One winner: A full manuscript evaluation (up to 120,000 words)*
-One winner: A partial manuscript evaluation (up to 50 page)*
-One winner: A query letter and revised query letter critique*
-Five winners: A choice from select titles in Moonrat's library, which will be mailed with a love letter from Moonrat, who enjoys writing love letters

I've started this new, temporary blog to host a raffle for my friend. You can buy tickets, check the log, and see how much progress has been made on each of the raffled lots here.

*please note: these are critiques with an eye toward editorial suggestions, and will in no way be considered submissions to me or my company

General Guidelines (and my very best attempts to make the whole process honest and transparent)

-The raffle will run between now, Tuesday, September 30th, and 8 pm on Tuesday, October 7th, when lots will be drawn.

-Winners will be announced (or their anonymous IDs, if they prefer) on Editorial Ass no later than 11:59 pm on Tuesday, October 7th.

-Prizes have no expiration date--you can ask for your prize redemption anytime between now and, well, I guess 2020.

-Turnaround time for prize redemption is 2 weeks (i.e. if you send me your manuscript on the 1st of November, I'll need until the 15th to get you my comments).

-All prizes are transferable. If you do not have a query letter that needs critiquing but you have a friend who does, you can gift your winning prize on your friend.

-On top of the instant confirmation email from PayPal, you will receive a confirmation email from me by midnight on the calendar day on which you purchased your raffle ticket. My email to you will include your lot number(s).

-On my end, lot numbers will be written on highly scientific bits of paper, which will be dropped into one of four of the rally monkey's highly scientific baseball hats. Lots will be drawn from each hat at 8 pm on Tuesday, October 7.

-You will have the option to purchase raffle tickets under your real name or an anonymous ID. You may specify a code name or number upon receiving my confirmation email.

-I've opened a PayPal account, which will allow you and me both to maintain our identities. PayPal is free for you and only charges me $.30 and 3% off each transaction.

-All raffle ticket purchases will be fully and publicly disclosed for accountability purposes. At midnight each day the raffle is active, the lot numbers of all the people who purchased raffle tickets for a particular lot will be listed in separate recorded posts. When you buy a raffle ticket, please check the name roster the next day to make sure your name is up. If it's not, email me ASAP at moonratty@gmail.com and we'll straighten it out.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything. If I have left any stones unturned, please drop me a note or comment and I will amend this record ASAP.

I will leave this post floating at the top of my blog for the next week. New posts will appear below it. All regularly scheduled publication will carry on as it always does!

Please, please tell your friends.

The Mischief Fights Cancer


Precie said...

Are we allowed to post this on writers forums too?

moonrat said...

absolutely, my dear. please do.

Kim Baker said...

What a fantastic way to help a friend in need. I hope you get oodles of entries!

The Anti-Wife said...

This is very cool, Moonie. You are a true friend. Good for you!

Andromeda Romano-Lax said...

Wow-- amazing idea, and someone has going to get an amazing prize by getting so much of your editorial time. I plan to spread the word...

Andromeda Romano-Lax said...

oops -- and see how much I need an editor? Someone IS going to get an amazing prize. Several people in fact.

Susan said...

"The Mischief Fights Cancer" -- I thought, wow, great title (I thought it was a book).

This is even BETTER. My prayers and well wishes (and next blog post, and my raffle tickets) will all be pulling for your friend.

Stay strong!

Colorado Writer said...

This is so awesome, Moonie~

Melanie Avila said...

Best wishes for your friend. This is such a wonderful and unique way to help.

jalexissmith said...

great idea! good luck!

ehadams23 said...

This is such a great idea. I will spread the word and buy some tickets!

Conduit said...

I've linked to this, and will be buying tickets. Kudos to Moonrat. :) Let us know if there's anything else we can do.

Kaytie M. Lee said...

It's so cool (on many levels) that you have found a way to help your friend like this. I'll be spreading the word and buying tickets, too.

And please tell your friend that she's getting warm thoughts from So Cal!

Kim Kasch said...

That is horrible. I am so sorry. Words can't even begin to cover it. My prayers are with your friend, her family and all her friends.

Jennifer L. Griffith said...

I've passed this along to writing friends, and friends. I can't wait to see how this community helps your friend!!! Great idea, Moonie!!

Anonymous said...

I live in the UK. Can I still buy a ticket?

moonrat said...

Absolutely! Anyone anywhere on the globe. Oh, the beauty of the Internets.

Charles Gramlich said...

heading over to check it out.

ChrisEldin said...

My prayers and thoughts are with your friend.
I imagine everyone knows somebody, or will know somebody with cancer. Very sad and unfortunate, and I wish there were more funds for research.
What you're doing is incredibly supportive.

Demon Hunter said...

I hope that your friend recovers and that you raise a million dollars, Moonie. I have had people lose to me who had cancer, and I know its strain on everyone. You and your friend are in my prayers.

Colleen_Katana said...

Hey Moonie,

I'm glad I saw this just in time to enter the raffle. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer a couple years ago and was lucky enough to have insurance at the time. My thoughts are with you and your friend during this difficult time...
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. (Tell your friend that popsicles are the greatest thing during chemo/radiation!)