Monday, September 29, 2008

JS Mill fans

For those of us who took part in the Parallel Lives discussion back in August, I thought you might like this New Yorker piece about John Stuart Mill by Adam Gopnik. It made me laugh out loud a couple of times; but the point--that Mill was always, indefatigably right--hits home. (I love Mill, dearly.) Did you know he loudly advocated universally available contraception, teaching Arabic when it wasn't fashionable, and due process for detainees accused of terrorism? A man for *our* times, never mind his own.

Anyway. "Victorian Low-Simmering Hot Plate," as Gopnik puts it. I [heart] you, Mr. Mill.

5 comments:

Precie said...

Most excellent! Thanks for the link!

Charles Gramlich said...

John Stewart Mill. Not exactly a name you hear that often these days. I haven't read much of his stuff since college but I remember his work fondly.

Second attempt to post.

pacatrue said...

Thanks for the link. I've long had "On Liberty" as one of my top 10 pieces of all time. It's fun to read a bit more of his bio.

Precie said...

okay, paca, now you're Really scaring me.

JES said...

Thanks so much for the heads-up, MR. Mill is an honest-to-God favorite and I haven't gotten this week's issue at home yet; now I've got my "meaty reading" for the week all mapped out for me!