Tuesday, August 12, 2008

a confession and some reminders

Confession first: I have an AWFUL lot going on right now, and not a terrible amount of it is worthy of or interesting enough for my blog. So if the posts around these parts are light these days, it's not because I don't love you and it's not because I'm dead.

[Edited to add:] And another confession. I'm obsessed with the Olympics. So don't be surprised if they're rather well represented in these parts. I'm the kind of person that cries during and after every event and then usually also when they play the Star Spangled Banner. It's just all very emotional for me.

Now reminders! The next book club meeting is September 1, and we'll be talking about Jen Sookfong Lee's THE END OF THE EAST.

Here are some review bits:

"An impressive debut novel...delivered in lyrical language radiating with apt metaphors. Evocative...an enrapturing exploration of identity that proves that family is unshakeable."-Kirkus Reviews

"Beautifully crafted...an homage to Amy Tan's generational tales. Provocative and deeply moving."-The Baltimore Sun

"Compelling and complex...richly layered...The End of East is fine prose."-The Globe and Mail

"Poignant...polished...an enlightening look at Vancouver's slice of the Chinese diaspora."-Publishers Weekly

"Impressive in its accomplished prose and its ambitious three-generational scope. Lee's talent is undeniable."-National Post

"Strong, evocative...a wonderful novel."-Booklist

"Well-crafted...an accomplished debut."-Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Ok. There's only one reminder. Woopsies.


Precie said...

As much as I really, really, really want to do the Sept book club...I won't get the chance. I've been tasked to work through my TBR bookcase. I shouldn't say "tasked" because I seriously want to read all my TBR books...but I really do need to refrain from buying/borrowing new books until I've made a significant dent in the unread books I already own. Sigh. Maybe October.

moonrat said...

I forgive you, Precie. I've caused you, personally, enough Amazon damage already.

cindy said...

i'd like to say i'm exhausted from revisions--but really, i'm exhuasted from staying up till 12.30am each night watching the olympics. haha!