Friday, August 01, 2008

book club: thanks

Thanks, everyone who dropped by yesterday. I sure had fun; I hope someone else did, too. In any case, you all humored me very nicely.

I've settled on next month's book! Which is exciting. The lucky winner is THE END OF THE EAST, by Jen Sookfong Lee. The next book club meeting will be on September 1, 2008.

A brief synopsis, in which I've borrowed heavily from (ie plagiarized) the PW Review:

The story of three generations of a Chinese-Canadian family in Vancouver, beginning when Chan Seid Quan emigrates to Vancouver in 1913 at 17 and ending with his granddaughter, Samantha, who returns to Vancouver to take care of her mother. Samantha, ridden with modern twenty-something malaise, reflects on her family history, the troubled relationship between her lonely grandfather and her family-man father, the hardships of 20th century Chinatown for a poor immigrant, and the challenges of mother-daughter-mother-in-law relationships.

Almost two years ago, I received this book on submission and was heartbroken that I wasn't able to buy it, but I found it intensely moving for personal reasons that I think affect a lot of Americans, particularly children of immigrants (and children of children of immigrants). So I'm looking forward to rereading this one, too, so we can all talk about it together.

I apologize that it's only available in hardcover at the moment; I will make a point of choosing paperbacks in the future, but I really want to do this book now. If it's any consolation, it's a short, quick read.

Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

Bernita said...

I have that fan on the cover.

Ruth said...

Only available in hardcover — and not available at all (so far as I can find) in New Zealand! :( Oh well, hopefully it'll come out in a year or two here... kinda sucks living at the end of the world sometimes! :)

ChrisEldin said...

Sorry I wasn't able to make it to your first book club, but I hope to make it to this one. I love knowing you read this as a manuscript--it's great to hear behind-the-scenes tidbits like that.

ChrisEldin said...

I can't post this on The Book Book, but just have to say that I'm reading the first book from The Book Book list (I have a pile of them, but just started my first this weekend--and am almost finished. Tree Grows in Brooklyn is so beautiful. I never would have known about it except through your blog.)

moonrat said...

oh, Chris! i'm SO glad! i LOVE TGIB and i was so glad Merry posted on it... and now that she brought it to you :)

and you've made my dreams come true by saying that. seriously. made my day.