Friday, July 18, 2008

it's my blog and I'll do what I want to

Hi there. So. A couple of announcements!

1) I've decided to have a reading club, in that I'm going to read a book and I'm going to talk about it here, and if you've also read the book, you can talk about it too. This will happen like once a month, or something, depending on what I feel like.

The first book club "meeting" will be on August 1st, and the book will be PARALLEL LIVES, by Phyllis Rose. I'm halfway through right now, and it's awesome. It's a (nonfiction) account of five high-profile Victorian marriages: Thomas Carlyle and Jane Welsh, John Ruskin and Effie Gray, John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor, Charles Dickens and Catherine Hogarth, and George Eliot and George Henry Lewes. Anyone who has read it in the past or wants to read it between now and August 1st is welcome to join up! If you're particularly interested in any one of those writers, you can also just read a single section--it works nicely as a (fascinating) stand-alone.

I might put some kind of announcement up in my sidebar. Hmm.

2) Some people have expressed a desire for a second writing deadline. However, since I don't have time to write right now, and this is my blog, I'm declaring the end of July to be Editorial Development Period!! For those who want to participate, the goal is to have a beta read on what you've done for August 1st, and then to think seriously about the suggestions. But, being an editor etc, I have to be a big proponent of editorial development.

We'll make another writing/revision deadline for September 1st.

That's all that I can think of at the moment. It's Friday afternoon, and as everyone knows, Friday afternoon is Sacred Karaoke Time (SKT). So I have to be going now.

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

Tanguera said...

Wow, a beta read sounds like a great idea. I'd be interested.

Precie said...

Have I told you lately that I love you?

My Amazon account, not so much. Especially since I don't know if I can have PARALLEL LIVES delivered in time for me to read it by Aug 1. (Might I have read it in grad school? Possibly. But that's a lifetime ago so I have no recall.)

And none of my stuff is even close to beta condition. I suppose I could get what I have of my YA reading for sharing...with HUGE holes and gaps...we'll see. No promises.

ChrisEldin said...

We would like to hear some of your Friday Karaoke.

{please}

:-*)

Charles Gramlich said...

Looking forward to the reading club.

Julie Weathers said...

Wow, for once I am ahead of the game. My first ten chapters are in beta read mode now. Well, not sure that exactly fits, but the readers needed to start from the beginning to see if everything is fitting together.

PARALLEL LIVES sounds interesting, but I am not reading anything new until after the Surrey conference.

Merry Monteleone said...

Hey Moonie, I'd love a book club selection once a month... I did a few book club blogs on my blog ages ago - and they always turned into a great discussion.

I'll see if I can get ahold of the book in time to participate. Sounds like a good one.