Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturday morning indie rock moment

I am writing this from my office, at 11:14 am on Saturday, May 31st. I have been in my chair for an hour already. I'm working on a project I love that I want to refine further; however, I also have a healthily developed notion of martyrhood and would like everyone to shout things like "poor thing!" and "bust that popsicle stand! Let's go to Chinatown for dimsum!!" Hmm. Although now that I've said them I don't really need you to say them. Although dumplings sound good.

So today, we feature Ryan Adams doing a rare solo version of "Sweet Illusion," one of my favorite songs of his (ok, that doesn't mean anything). This recording is especially great because during his second chorus he forgets the words and starts making fun of the Beejees.

We feature Ryan Adams, our OTHER boyfriend (besides Michael Chabon), to further illustrate the injustice of life. This is the story. I have loved Ryan with the deepest and truest and most heartfelt of affections since my friend Dave brainwashed me into buying my first album (GOLD) in 2003. I, in turn, gradually brainwashed my brother and then my sister. My sister, in turn, moved to New York to bother me and walked through the East Village and went right up to a guy she met on the corner of 7th and A and put her hand on his arm (literally) and said, "Wow, did anyone ever tell you you look JUST like Ryan Adams?" That's right, folks. It was himself. He appeared to MY SISTER and NOT ME, despite my DEEP AND UNWAVERING LOVE.

Now, it's back to dumplings, erm, manuscript for me.

Happy Saturday!

11 comments:

Jaye Wells said...

I loved the song Ryan Adams did for that Robin Hood movie. Oh and Summer of '69!*






*Yes, I'm kidding.

moonrat said...

hahaha you nearly gave me a heart attack there.

but, to be fair and honest, i like Bryan Adams too. he's just not my boyfriend.

Kalynne Pudner said...

"OH, YOU POOR THING!"

Working on Saturday, and not having a close encounter with Ryan Adams. (I'm not a fan of the deep, true and unwavering variety, but "16 Days" is possibly my very favorite song ever.)

Charles Gramlich said...

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I don't know if I've ever heard a song by "Ryan" Adams. I've liked a few pices of Bryan Adams.

As for working on Saturday. You poor poor dear. However do you cope? ;)

JES said...

Ditto Charles G on "Ryan" Adams. Must be one of those classic male-female wedge issues.

MR, get to Chinatown already -- it's nearly 4:30 pm on a SATURDAY!

Dennis Cass said...

Maybe it's because I'm new to your blog. Or maybe it's because I'm slow. Or maybe it's because you've been hiding things.

Regardless, I wasn't expecting to read about indie rock anything on Editorial Ass. Now my expectations are forever changed. Frankly, I'm at a loss. Going to go listen to Pavement and sort things out.

cindy said...

dumplings!
dumplings!
dumplings!
i used to go to one on UES
called the dumpling king or
inn or something.

YUM!

and poor moonie. =(

writtenwyrdd said...

I had to look him up. He looks pretty emo, actually. I also thought did she mean Bryan Adams. We are so dated, those of us over 35...

JES said...

writtenwyrdd: "He looks pretty emo, actually."

Not to change the subject, and I know this marks me as hopelessly out of touch, but what the heck does "emo" mean, anyway? It seems to be one of those terms which has crept into semi-common lingo as a just-right shorthand for, well, something or other. I read the Wikipedia entry but left even more confused than when I started.

Martha said...

I'm new to your blog, but now I'm homesick and STARVING. Dimsum are nonexistent in Estonia. I used to go to Chinatown after the bars closed, after bridging the gap by riding the Staten island ferry out and back. Dimsum for breakfast then home to bed in the sunrise.

Julie Weathers said...

Hmmm, I'm rather amazed to hear of a true appreciation for dumplings here. Now I'm hungry, but I made potato soup this week.