Saturday, February 23, 2008

build some vocab on a Saturday morning


Precie said...

I love FreeRice! Someone pointed me to it a few months ago, and I'm addicted. Can't seem to get higher than 45. Sheesh.

moonrat said...

nya, nya! i got up to 47!! once. for like one turn.

although this may be because i'm an extraordinarily lucky guesser.

Froog said...

Oooh, this is EVIL.

If it looks like it might be an African word, you have to hope there's only one African option. If any of the options is a unit of currency, it's almost certainly that one.

It's a bit annoying, though, that some of the definitions are highly dubious, and a few are just plain wrong (don't ask me which ones! I played for an hour: my brain is fudge!).

I should have certain advantages in this challenge, since there's a lot of Shakespearian English (used to teach Shakespeare in high school, have acted in a couple of the plays, have read the complete works - long ago), a lot of Latin and a fair bit of French (both languages I can - or used to be able to - read to quite a high level), a lot of Latin- and Greek-derived academic vocabulary (studied Greek at University as well.... and many of my best friends are doctors!), and a fair few Aboriginal Australian words (I've travelled in Australia, and picked up an Aboriginal micro-dictionary there).

So, I really feel I ought to be slaughtering this game; and I'm not.

I'm usually crashing out around 40 or 50.... and only getting that far with a few inspired guesses. Peak was 54, but I don't think I'm likely to get that high again.

Evil, EVIL, EVIL game!!

Froog said...

New high of 55!! Yay!!!!

Mind you, I've noticed a lot of the same words coming up. I think the database is not all that large.