Sunday, December 02, 2007

Filipino Funerals

Sorry in advance to those whose sensibilities will be offended on this. (I know I'm at the very least apologizing to myself here.)

Sammy was showing me and Angelle an online album of pictures that was sent to him by one of his cousins. They were taken at...yes, folks...his uncle's wake. Open-casket wake. We have a WHOLE GAGGLE of aunts and cousins posing chorus-line style in front of an open casket.

I love Sammy dearly and should say that his family has effectively adopted me but they don't know I keep this blog and I still have to say that we don't even do these kinds of things at Italian funerals. Sammy himself says he has a high threshold for tomfoolery when it comes to his family and so he finds this pretty funny (may his uncle rest in peace). In fact, he insisted I post.

I've embedded two exemplary photos here in an old old post so that no one has to see them if they don't want to. But seriously.

7 comments:

Shesawriter said...

Ick. I just got gooseflesh just thinking about it.

Wayne said...

Unusual.

Church Lady said...

You almost expect him to pop up out of the casket.

Bernita said...

I've heard of this in North America as well.

Kaytie M. Lee said...

I'm impressed by how emotionally together everyone looks. At the funerals I've been to, we've all been broken glass.

Precie said...

As a Filipina by heritage, I didn't know until I was an adult that other people DON'T take open-casket pictures at funerals.

There are a bunch of other Filipino funeral habits/rituals that I find unusual...Did Sammy's extended family pass small children over the lowered casket at the gravesite? I forget why that's done.

Kat O+ said...

When my grandfather died, Mum came back from the funeral with pictures of her and her siblings lined up next to each other, eyes puffy from crying...but all smiling for the photo! Also, at most of the Filipino funerals I've been to, family members kiss the corpse. Eek!