Friday, November 30, 2007

some random end-of-day postage

9 Badass Bible Verses, via The Swivet. These are pretty bush-burningly awesome.

Cosmo is turning their newest employee (a Smith College graduate and probably a recovering feminist and interesting person) into a CosmoGirl!! And she's blogging about it here!!! How does everyone else feel about this? [Here's Gawker's take.]

Did anyone else hate the movie ENCHANTED as much as I did? Because a couple of people have told me I'm totally crazy. Just wanted to hear other people's thoughts. Someone told me I'm beginning to have a feminazism problem. I'm not at all a bra-burner or a man-cutter but I know where I stand on ENCHANTED and I feel like the glass ceiling got about three inches thicker with that movie.

Also, did anyone see this weird story about the 13-year-old girl who committed suicide when her online boyfriend broke up with her? Only her supposedly 16-year-old "boyfriend" turned out to be the 47-year-old mother of one of her former best friends, whom the dead girl had friend-dumped. The mother took revenge by dumping her back. Anyway. Interesting NYT article about the nature of modern parenting and how involved in your kids' lives it's ok to be.

8 comments:

angelle said...

read about the 13 yr old girl... terrible. maturity by adults, wonderful. i wish there was some legal action that could be taken. that's just ridic.

omg, i want to see enchanted SO BADLY!!!!!!!!!! i guess i really just don't care abt feminism as much as you do...

Kaytie M. Lee said...

1. The girl's story is so tragic. That mother knew the girl had problems with depression and STILL went through with that deception. Horrible, horrible people, them.

This story resonates because I was bullied when I was that age. Thankfully I didn't grow up in the Internet age. It would be devastating for me now.

2. Regarding Enchanted: well, I wasn't optimistic about it. I mean, a story making fun of Disney movies made by Disney probably isn't going to be as cutting as it should be.

3. Feminism was always supposed to be equality for women, not at the expense of men, but as with any reasonable doctrine, extremism has made it difficult for the rest of us. :/

Kaytie M. Lee said...

BTW I tried to read the Cosmo blog but the pink and yellow header made my eyes hurt and my tongue curl as if it had just rejected unsweetened lemonade.

So I guess I can't comment on that part beyond saying, I just don't care about Cosmo.

writtenwyrdd said...

Enchanted didn't bother me, but then I've been living in the time-warped back-of-beyond for the last decade. I found it funny because it played on all the Disney movies-- which, IMHO, do more to harm small girl's images than this movie.

Shesawriter said...

Everybody who's seen that movie said they loved it. Well, I'm holding out judgment. The same people who told me they loved Enchanted also loved Knocked Up, and I HATED that movie. I figure I'll wait to see Enchanted when it comes out on DVD.

pacatrue said...

I liked Enchanted alright. I was about to comment on how they messed up in a certain section, but since a couple people are still planning to see it....

Wayne said...

There are times when I can simply bury my head in the sand.

Ello said...

That myspace story about the little girl was really horrible. I can't believe grown people who are parents themselves could screw with other people's kids like that!

I haven't seen Enchanted yet and am not willing to now! I hate what Disney has done to girls with their stupid princess series. HATE it!!