Friday, November 23, 2007

NYT Notable Books of 2007

The list is out. 100 books, and I've read...2. And one of them was DEATHLY HALLOWS.

Although YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION rocked, officially. Wow, great book. I actually dragged my dad (Dadrat, who, by the way, was very pleased with everyone's comments) to Borders today, Black Friday, to try to find a copy (Black Friday shopping is against my dad's religion).

Also, a couple of the books are on my to-read list, including CLEOPATRA'S NOSE, which has gotten some awesome write-ups (also my friend has already lent me her copy). I also heard great things about THE REST IS NOISE (I wish there was more musical history available... I'd love to see some smart proposals on musical topics...).

Darnit. In the process of writing this post I've just ordered 3 things on Amazon and reserved a couple others.

Any thoughts? Should I trouble with any of the others in particular?


Maria said...

Well....I had read 11 of them, but so many still left. I did copy down a few that looked really, really good (House Lights, Matrimony, Winterton Blue and Circling My Mother....)

But...I LOVED Little Heathens and later, at the bar and was surprised to find them on that list...

Jill Myles said...

I have read absolutely zero of them. Yet I'm positive I've read over a hundred books this year.

We need a list for genresluts. I feel so neglected.

Kaytie M. Lee said...

Funny. I've read the same two. I own a bunch of the others, though, and will get to them as soon as my alphabetical reading reaches them. The first will be Denis Johnson's new book, which I hear is fantastic but first I have to read one by Pico Iyer and one by Marlon James.

I'm a freak.

Heard great things about On Chesil Beach, and I've been looking forward to Jim Shepherd's books after I saw him speak at the Tin House workshop two summers ago.

angelle said...

ive read 3 of them. but a lot of the rest are on my "when they come out in paperback" pile, along with a couple of "still haven't gotten around to yet".

what makes them "notable" though? notable not exactly the same as "good" right? bc i heard exit ghost was BAD.

Lisa said...

I've read 3 1/2 (I'm in the middle of Then We Came to the End)-- everyone else seemed to love this one, but I'm not loving it and it's taking me way too long to finish. I read Yiddish Policemen's Union -- LOVED IT, On Chesil Beach -- really liked it, and The Reluctant Fundamentalist -- thought it was a little over-rated. I have three more sitting here, waiting to be read. I think of the three, I'll probably read Tree of Smoke next.

Sarah Hina said...

On Chesil Beach was my favorite McEwan novel since, well, Atonement. What Is The What is also amazing.

All of the others are just there to make me feel bad.

Josephine Damian said...

For quite a few titles, my reaction was: They put that book on the best list?

Some did look interesting to me and I put them on my TBR list.

I'm looking forward to the short best of the best lists that come out in December.

Anybody care to read my take on "Chesil" can a review on my blog. Look under the Book Review labels.

Josephine Damian said...

Tree of Smoke: I saw it at the bookstore yesterday. (I went to buy a calendar, that's it, since I'm determined to rent not buy most of the books I read). Picked it up. Read the first line about Kennedy being shot at 3AM.

He wasn't shot at 3AM. But figured it might have been 3AM Vietnam time. I read a couple of more sentences, was still confused, and I was not blown away as I expected, based on all the hype.


cyn said...

i have read zero.

(i went on strike against
harry potter--which i am
told to read constantly since
i write fantasy.)


i read what i like.
i figure if these books
are what i like, i would have
found them?

wheelmaker said...

I've only read 2 1/2 of the novels, and have Little Heathens on my wishlist. I don't see much else on the list that I want to read, though. The descriptions are too short! I guess they expect people to go back and read the reviews from the NYTBR.