Monday, October 01, 2007

Some small confessions

1) I paid $200 for a guitar and case. I can't really justify that.
2) I can't play the guitar (at all).
3) I spent $15 on a manicure yesterday. That makes it impossible for me to even TRY to play the guitar.
4) I got up at 5:30 this morning and went to the new gym on my block. I went on the rowing machine (for the first time since June 2004). After ten minutes my hands were covered in blistering callouses. Manicure+callous. Yum.
5) I bought four (4) boxes of Ghiradelli brownie mix.
6) I've eaten three (3) already (in one week).
7) We're at dire straits with laundry again.
8) We're not going to be DOING laundry until next Monday at the earliest (which really means, like, November 1st).
9) I have a book on my Fall 08 list that everyone (sales, marketing, publicity, publisher) thinks has an illustration program...but it doesn't. This is my fault because the proposal said there would be a 16-page b&w illo program and then I wasn't vigilant about making sure the illustration clause was put in the contract, so now the author has no incentive to go out and get any rights (and trust me, this is not the kind of go-getter author who would, well, go and get them on his own). Now I either have to confess to everyone in my company (and that AIN'T gonna be pretty...yikes) or magically come up with an illustration program myself. For free. Pray for me.
10) I've been trying to read LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA for days now (I'm trying to read it before the movie comes out) but I CAN'T get into it because I'm just too busy with work. Which is tragic.
11) I went to karaoke twice this week and I still haven't satisfied myself.
12) Rent is due again. Boo.
13) I love to have my head scratched. Like a dog. For hours. I wish I had a full-time head scratcher. Maybe also a back rubber.

7 comments:

angelle said...

ooh, when love in the time of cholera comes out, we must see it together, yes? well, assuming you finish the book first, of course.

Froog said...

In China you can usually get a free head massage every time you get your hair cut.

Of course, you don't really need to get your hair cut all that often. And they will completely butcher it 9 times out of 10. But still, the scalp rubs are nice.

Froog said...

By the way, this is a nice collection of self-revelations (I too bought a guitar a while ago, a guitar I am never going to find the time to learn to play... just because it's beautiful), but it is not the "8 Things Most People Don't Know About Me" that you were 'tagged' (by me) to produce.... er, 4 or 5 months ago.

Please, pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top.

Lisa said...

Can I be the doofus who asks what an illustration program is? Since you brought it up...

David L. McAfee said...

I have a beautiful ivory colored acoustic guitar that my wife bought me for my birthday about 3 years ago. I still have no idea how to play it.

*sigh*

time-poverty sux!

jalexissmith said...

i mean this with love..... but perhaps you should consider skipping karaoke and brownie baking in favor of laundry. ne?

writtenwyrdd said...

My mother owned a music store and gave me a gorgeous 1958 Dreadnaught (full size) guitar that had the most beautiful tone and was just plain old wonderful to play. Unfortunately, while I was still learning, I discovered the incipient carpal tunnel. Still can't play over ten years later. Intense pain when doing chords cause me to hang it back up in her store and let her sell it. Boo. I had to give up middle eastern drumming, too, which I was pretty darned good at.