Friday, October 12, 2007

following the reorganization of my office and the movement of my desk

from under the old desk's deep recesses did emerge four (4) pairs of three-inch heels--one pair of patent leather black kitten heels that I accidentally bought on the Champs-Elysees; a pair of $12 beige felt close-toed stilettos (these might actually be 4 inches), a pair of open-toed fuschia Steve Maddens I bought to go to the ballet with Melanie, and a pair of black leather Mia zip-up pirate boots with silver buckles. Anyway.

Now all those shoes are living in the newly opened corner of my office in front of the bookcases.

The contracts manager, an extremely small and excitable woman, walked by yesterday afternoon. "Oh, I love all your shoes!!" she said.

"Thanks," said I.

"You know what it looks like?" she said. "Like you used to be... what do they call it? A streetwalker! Like you used to be a streetwalker and then gave it all up to become an editor, but now you leave your shoes there on display to remind you of your roots!"

I don't remember how I responded to this.

13 comments:

Bernita said...

Words fail at times like those.

moonrat said...

yeah, they do.

cyn said...

"i wasn't a street walker, i was a call girl, a well paid one. now you know how passionate i am about my job--i get crap pay compared to what i was making before." said the seductive moonrat, showing some leg.

haha!

moonrat said...

thanks, cyn. that's EXACTLY what happened; i'm glad you reminded me.

Precie said...

Mopping coffee off my monitor.

And, um, "accidentally bought"?

Lisa said...

I have some shoes I've accidentally bought too ;)

Live@theGrouchoClub said...

The people who work in your office are fun. They're like Douglas Coupland characters.

Precie said...

Any chance you could post a pic of your new-found shoes? Quite the collection!

Church Lady said...

Yeah, what Precie said. With some cheap hooker hose and a nice leg shot!
:-)

The Anti-Wife said...

You can walk in 4 inch heels? I'm impressed!

moonrat said...

hahahaa NO. that's why they live on the floor of my office.

i'll see what i can do about some pictures. this will involve remembering to bring my camera to work. don't hold any breath.

Ello said...

I used to own a pair of F**k Me boots. They were all the rage late 80s, I think. This is one of those moments when you need Terry Tate, Office Linebacker to take her ass out.

x@y said...

amazing?!