Friday, September 07, 2007

Persian dinner

Space Alien and I have survived out Persian food celebration of life. Oh my goodness. Everyone in the world (or at least the greater New York area) MUST go to this restaurant: Ravagh at 30th between 5th and Madison. Pretty layout, nice bathroom, super friendly service, all at incredibly affordable prices. By the way, have I mentioned it was THE BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD?!

Mast-o-khiar (yogurt and cucumbers): a cold dip with mint. Perfect for spreading on pita and eating with fresh radish.

Chicken kebob: done royal. They gave us the most mammoth chicken that ever squawked.

Served with zereshk: that's barberry rice with currants and saffron.

Khoresh kesenjan: perhaps the best thing in the entire world that was ever eaten. The picture isn't super attractive, I know, but the waiter (who was extremely friendly) told us that he once ran a commercial on TV--one 60-second commercial--and featured this dish, and that evening there was a two block line outside the restaurant. It's chunks of chicken stewed in a very thick "broth" of crushed walnuts and pomegranates. The chicken is SO tender it falls apart with a spoon. This would convert a vegan. Oh my God.

Persian tea in a little glass.

They have an amazing dessert list, too, but we were too full (anyone who knows me knows how weird that sounds... I just couldn't fit dessert!! I couldn't stop with the walnuts and pomegranates etc).

I want to move to Iran SO bad right now.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Oh yum. Perhaps another visit is in order.

angelle said...

why must you torture me so???

okay, we must go. and like. soon.