Thursday, September 13, 2007

just between the time I went to bed and the time I woke up

A bunch of you have responded to the cover question--this is great. So just one more for good measure.

Like GHOSTWALK, this is a book I would buy just because I'm fascinated by the cover image. I also particularly like the stark type on the romantic image.

Here's the green argument again--I have literally have agents call me and ask me if we can't get a cover redesigned to be less green, since they can't shake the taboo of the 80s and 90s. For me, the green on this cover is beautiful (and, since I'm that superficial, a reason to buy the book, which, by the way, had a starred review in PW).

My one petty gripe? The florets in the corners. I hate arbitrary design elements like florets or frames. There is, however, a large school of thought among designers that leaving the cover unadorned will drive a book too much in the direction of genre fiction.

Your thoughts?

7 comments:

The Writers' Group said...

I'm reading this book now and when you do, you'll understand the reason for the florets. The prism on the cover of Ghostwalk is equally meaningful once you've read the book.

Thanks for bringing up the topic of cover art. It's fascinating.

Amy

Jill Myles said...

I think it's very pretty, but I don't know if I'd buy it based on the cover. I don't think it 'pops' enough. Either that, or it screams 'ARTSY BOOK' and I am a big genre-whore. So, I dunno.

Kaytie M. Lee said...

That's a nice green to convey a river.

vivian said...

"...leaving the cover unadorned will drive a book too much in the direction of genre fiction."

What nonsense.

Kristin said...

Just like someone said about the other cover for GHOSTWALK, why oh why do they feel compelled to put "a novel" on the cover of a book? Do they really think I will believe it is some kind of self-help book? If it is shelved properly and comes with a cover, like this one, I think I'll *know* it's fiction.

Or is this the way the 'literary' books try to stand out from other fiction?

As for this new cover, I think it's lovely. I adore green, so I say, more green covers, please! I barely noticed the florets or whatever they are called. Just like I didn't notice the frame very much on the other cover.

I love covers that include photograph art vs. drawings.

Cheryl said...

This is such a cool cover. So many things come to mind when I look at this image. And I agree about the florets--they are distracting. They really don't seem to fit with the picture, even if they are meaningful in the story.

Froog said...

Reminds me somehow of a great pastiche/summary of 'The Lady of Shalott' by the British poet Fiona Pitt-Kethley.

Saw knight pass
In glass.

Left room
Full of gloom.

Stole boat.
Died afloat.