Saturday, September 15, 2007

Filipino Adventure in Queens

Alas, no horror stories to come out of today's quest for delicious foodstuffs (loyal readers will remember the last time we went to Ihawan, the Filipino restaurant on 74th street. For those of you new to the fold, this is possibly my best post ever).

But I do have some pretty pictures, as promised.


Here we have the famous fresh lumpia--like a giant spring roll, only with a soft crepe skin. It is uncooked and is filled with delicious soft noodles, cabbage, and bean sprouts. The sauce is pureed peanuts with insanely large chunks of fresh garlic.



Here's the cooked lumpiang--slender spring roll dry-fried and usually served with a sweet chili dipping sauce. No sauce today, alas. However, we did have a very nice waitress, unlike last time. You win some, you lose some.





Here's the tocino pork. My favorite. This is candied pork--a dry, sweet cure that brings out the inner diabetic in all of us. I would love to learn how to make this, but I hear it's a major time commitment. Served with some deep fried eggs. Alas I had eaten half the dish in about 10 seconds so by the time the camera was broken out to photograph it some creative rearrangement was in order to disguise the rather obscene dent I made.



And the fresh melon drink. Very refreshing. I would also recommend the young coconut juice, which I fully intend to get next time (but will probably have forgotten about by that point).






Kare kare: the oxtail stew in peanut sauce with green beans. A favorite amongst the pork-wary.







We, of course, were not in any way pork-wary. This is the pork barbeque. (How the heck is "barbeque" supposed to be spelled? I've tried everything!!! I take this opportunity to remind you that I am not responsible for anything misspelled herein. Cf disclaimer in upper right-hand corner.)


And the dread avocado milkshake. You see there layers of crushed ice, sweetened condensed milk, and pureed avocado.

A good day. I came home and took a 4-hour nap after this.

Tomorrow, the Brooklyn Book Festival. Do stop by--you'll get to meet a lot of awesome indie publishers, book vendors, and local writers (some pretty big names live in Brooklyn!).

2 comments:

angelle said...

okay. next time you must take me. i still haven't tried that avocado thing. i'll even bring my epipen (but i will stay away from anything suspiciously bright yellow in color). because that looks FANTASTIC!

you will be getting a text message from me tomorrow, asking you what train i should take, what stop to get off of. i was thinking the r to borough hall or the a, but they're two different borough hall stops and i'm not quite sure which is the right one. so expect this text from me around, oh, 10 am or so.

Rose said...

Did the author of "A Tree Grows in Brookly" live in Brooklyn?

I love that book.