Monday, September 17, 2007

"The Dragon Is Gone"


Robert Jordan has passed away. I...can't even express how sad this makes me, because people would think I was being sarcastic. As I'm sure you already know if you were a fan, he had been fighting off a rare blood disorder for the past year.

I definitely wore a single braid to school everyday from sixth through tenth grade because it was Mr. Jordan who revealed to me the truth of my secret alter-identity. (Power-weilding fantasy warrior priestess, of course.) He helped me understand what I look for in a good read and really actually changed the way I approached reading, writing, plot-spinning, and world-building.

And yes, to be crass, it is true and rather relevant--the twelfth and final installment in THE WHEEL OF TIME series will never be written.

I stole my title from the Galleycat article.

Note: his blog is getting so much traffic right now it is almost impossible to load the official announcement. If anyone gets it and wants to forward the text...

4 comments:

Maprilynne said...

It is sad. I put up a tribute on my blog today too.

However, the word on the street even before he died was that the book was already part-way finished and that if anything happened, his wife would finish it the way he wanted it finished. So I wouldn't kiss A Memory of Light goodbye just yet.:)

moonrat said...

I heard a rumor (ok, it was from my dad, who's an even bigger nerd, erm, fan than i am) that he had dictated the last book to his brother/cousin (whatever kind of title that is) although i would rather harriet finished it.

Bernita said...

I hope so, Maprilynne. The sprawl annoyed me, and I am not a "fan," but I like the main set of chatacters.

angelle said...

for once i have no idea who you are talking about.

okay where is that scathing post?!