Thursday, September 13, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!


Ok, confession time. I'm an arachnophobia. Yes, I am. Past any point of reason that you'd think someone with a college degree and a substantial background in biological sciences would have to sustain.

Now moving on to this delicious news item.

These pictures I've stolen from other sources are of a new phenomenon in Texas--this year, apparently the bug population at a state park was so big and juicy that all the spiders--12 species of them--got together to create one giant web the size of two football fields.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

This guy at Wired pretty much spells out my thoughts (they are spelled GAAAAHHHHH! AHHHYAHHHHH!). For a more "official" report, try here.

Can we please just all step back and think about what this means for evolution? Unprecedented interspecies cooperation? Economic prosperity among the spiders? It's only a matter of time before they are all the size of houses!!!!

Thanks to La Gringa at The Swivet, through whose blog I was brought to terms with this harsh new reality.

6 comments:

Kaytie M. Lee said...

That picture is made of pure horrors.

angelle said...

you already know how i feel about spiders conspiring together.

btw, you're an arachnaphobe, not an arachnaphobia. that would make you the spider of someone's worst nightmares.

David L. McAfee said...

I think it's kinda cool, myself...but then, I like spiders.

moonrat said...

yeah, you're right, i can't type.

i'm still with the wired blogger--i don't believe spiders should be allowed to cooperate.

angelle said...

where are you today?!?!! :( i'm getting cranky without you to chat with.

Froog said...

A propos of nothing in this post (but hey, you do that to me too).... Enrique Inglesias, he's a dead man.