Friday, May 04, 2007

what a day, what a day

I saw Turandot, my favorite opera, which I've never seen or even heard but have read a lot of Wikipedia and other fine source material about, and which I am obsessed with because Puccini died most tragically just short of writing the last duet, and whose famous Aria, Nessun Dorma, makes me cry like Bluenana's aforementioned "pregnant woman" every time I hear it, with Melanie and Angelle last night.

To make it even betterer, there was sushi beforehand. I ate mine and half of Melanie's before I realized they had ordered me a separate meal and we weren't sharing for the whole table. But I only felt slightly awkward because Melanie's tasted better.

After a dry spell of a month and a half, I bought TWO books yesterday. It was strange--I had both the agents on the phone at once, switching from one to the other...I felt like a stockbroker. One I bought for a song, and the other I got amazing rights for.

Bad news: they're both fiction. Shit will hit the fan when Robert the Publisher realizes that he approved two fiction offers in one day. Cross fingers and hope he won't remember.

Also, both books need REALLY heavy edits. I'm not sure I can edit fiction. I guess there's really no better way to find out.

6 comments:

Bluenana said...

Oh! I'm green with envy!!

And congrats on the shopping spree!

Bluenana said...

Hmmm...the timestamp is an hour off. That's weird.

moonrat said...

yeah, i've noticed that...

angelle said...

i went home and listened to pavoratti and domingo sing it like 300x. they're much better. obviously. but it's totally stuck in my head. and btw, apparently the met has been using the same set for the past 20 years because domingo was singing on the same set. haha.

moonrat said...

that's all right---i don't care if the met's been using that set for 50 years, it was still effing awesome. and yeah, i thought the prince was the weakest. he was also rather fat. quelle disappointment. i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Nessun Dorma. it's my favorite song in the WORLD and it should be done justice. yeah, pavarotti will do, i suppose.

angelle said...

yeah tenor was quite portly and his voice wasn't nearly strong enough. sometimes the orchestra overwhelmed him. and he didn't seem passionate enough about the whole thing. my favorite was still the woman who played liu. her voice was beautiful.

i want to go see another opera!