Monday, March 05, 2007

Lord. God.

I still don't have a building key to my new office, as the keymaker apparently takes 4-6 weeks (...). So I wasn't entirely expecting to be able to get into the building when I got here this morning at 8:20 am. To my pleasant surprise, I was buzzed up right away.

When I stepped off the elevator there at the reception desk was not the receptionist but Jesse, the second editor. He normally gets in around ten. "When did you get here?" I asked politely. "Around 3 pm yesterday," he answered.

(Please note timestamp--today is Monday.)

"Does this happen often?" I asked, struggling to keep my voice from rising into canine registers.

"Oh no," he said. "I've only done...maybe three all-nighters this month. But we do stay until midnight two or three times a week."

(We?)

Oh man. What have I gotten myself into here?

1 comment:

Bluenana said...

Related and unrelated: cupcake. I was serious about it, but after reading your post, I'm scared of asking what time you'll be available....considering that tonight is the two-hour of power known as Prison Break and 24.