Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Jalexis is looking for a book suggestion.

3/04/07 jalexissmith said...

Ok ladies, suggest a good one for me! I am not big on fantasy and clearly not big of slow books. Any suggestions?


From Moonrat:

This week I'm recommending Andrea Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife. It's one of those books that was a bestseller that I don't feel stupid recommending to anyone at all. It's a clever story, a fun read, and a great example of how fiction can help you take a little vacation from reality.

Anyone else have a recommendation for Jalexis?


jalexissmith said...

Haha thank you rattatat.

Well, since I get a whole post for myself on this topic, I thought I would add some stipulations:

I do not usually like fantasy, science fiction and the like. I don't really like things that are even remotely scary (even Harry Potter got a little bit scary for me at times). Books that I have recently read that I liked (don't make fun of my choices- they are limited in Japan): Memories of a Geisha, One More Day by Mitch Albom.... well ok, that is about it. Sad, I know. I read some biographies but that does not really help. I read The True and Outstanding Adventure of the Hunt Sisters but wasn't a big fan. I started Bel Canto and The Other Boleyn Girl and never got into either of them.


Bluenana said...

Jalexis, don't know if you'll like this one, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

I thought The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart was a cute and fun read. Ok, I must admit, it's really a kids book. But, it's a longish kids book like Harry Potter, so it'll provide more than an hour's entertainment. Also, I've become braindead (as of late), which I think is a professional side effect. Obviously it was necessary for me to read something purely for entertainment and not for edification, so this book sated the right craving.

Also, Carson Ellis (girlfriend of Colin Meloy of The Decemberists) did the illustrations. They're v. cute!

Good luck finding your next read!

P.S. Love "rattatat." I'll need to quote you down the road!

jalexissmith said...

Thanks for the recommendation!