Wednesday, January 10, 2007

the Williams-Sonoma apple

Every year a particular agent friend of Phill's sends him a giant boxed Williams-Sonoma caramel apple that is crusted in various nuts and bits of chocolate. In other words, a symbol of everything I ever wanted in the world. Last year, after much hemming and hawing, Phill (who is on a strict diet that focuses mainly on various creatively titled chemical sugar substitutes and includes nothing remotely related to fruit, chocolate, or caramel) admitted he would never eat the thing and gave it to me. I chipped it open and ate it piece by piece during the week between Christmas and New Year when no one else was in the office. It was my small reward--it, and the bar of soap Phill bought me for Christmas--for my long hours and hard work.

This year I saw the apple arrive (being the mail gopher) and I unwrapped it and left it in his inbox and waited patiently. The days ticked by and I would see it in his office in its box, ignored. I knew eventually Phill would remember the apple...and me.

Today--January 10th--I was doing some filing and I noticed the apple had moved TO STEPHANIE'S OFFICE. Phill has given the apple to STEPHANIE!! How can this be? How could he do this? Does he like her more than me? Gulp.

1 comment:

Bluenana said...

My heart is broken for you and your very, very sweet tooth. Phill should have known better!