Saturday, December 30, 2006

an end

This feels strange to write, to some degree, but maybe you won't think it's so strange to read...?

I'm a little weirded out and disoriented by Saddam Hussein's death. He was a fixture in my childhood--some of my earliest memories are the Gulf War soldier coming to my second grade class to talk about his war experiences (although maybe this is due to my overwhelming lack of early childhood memories?). And I know he did terrible things, and a death sentence made sense when they assigned it, but I think that was because I assumed "death" would involve rotting away in an international political prison of some kind until he died of heart failure in a couple of years. I can't even decide what I think about this and (sorry, Allan Bloom) I don't even want to make myself think about whether "my" politics condone or condemn this. It just makes me feel uncomfortable.

No comments: