Monday, November 20, 2006

a many splendoured thing

“Love isn’t spending time with someone and enjoying their company,” Sammy said. “Love is doing stuff you don’t want to do because doing it makes the other person happy.”

I am undecided as to whether I think that this misspoken good intention from a guy who doesn’t always say the very best of things in intimate social situations or whether it is a prophecy more honest than anything I (in my quixotic little mind) could ever think of myself. But whether he’s right or not, I’m not sure that I’m ready to buy into such a “workmanlike” definition.

1 comment:

The First Carol said...

Maybe if you say it pretty it sounds better?

"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

-- Robert Heinlein, American novelist and science fiction writer (1907-1988).